In 1920-1921, still during the fights for independence, Juozas Zikaras, the author of the statue, came up with an idea to create a memorial for the Liberty. The project was finished by 1921 and for several years a brass statue was kept at Kaunas War Museum. Later, sculpted of bronze, it was solemnly placed at the park of the War Museum in 1928.
During the German occupation, the sculpture was saved from the Nazis, however, it was put down on the following occupation by Soviet Russia.
The memorial of Liberty was later restored and again presented to the society in 1989. The current height of it is 12,35 meters.
The Liberty symbolizes the achievements of the independent Lithuania and the treasured value of freedom.